You can download the first few dozen postures (Programs 1- 2) below. These beginning postures are enough to launch you into a sound Yoga practice.
The Step by Step PDF, Hatha Yoga: Step by Step Lessons (I-V), covers all but two of these beginning postures in more detail. Although written in the late 70’s, it still holds up.
This PDF, The Illustrated Light on Yoga by Iyengar, B. K. S., is an abridged version of the original Light on Yoga. It is perfect for beginners, especially Part II, Yogasanas!
Also, search these titles on YouTube:
Krishnamacharya’s & B.K.S. Iyengar Yoga in 1938
Yoga GURU — B. K. S. Iyengar – The Ultimate Freedom Yoga 1976
B.K.S. Iyengar – Yoga Demonstration, Sydney, 1983
BKS Iyengar Teaching Yoga asana class London 1985
Now, download and print out all these FREE PDF’s for a thorough and priceless treatment of Yoga.
Light on Yoga: The Bible of Modern Yoga : “The definitive guide to the philosophy and practice of Yoga–the ancient healing discipline for body and mind–by its greatest living teacher. Light on Yoga provides complete descriptions and illustrations of all the positions and breathing exercises. Features a foreword by Yehudi Menuhin. Illustrations throughout. 544 pages.”
Illustrated Light on Yoga : “The Illustrated Light on Yoga is a straightforward introduction for the beginner. It is illustrated throughout with 150 photographs positioned in the relevant part of the text for easy reference. It includes: an introduction to the philosophy and practice of yoga; detailed descriptions of 57 key postures; techniques for stilling the mind through breathing exercises; a 35-week course progressing from beginner to intermediate level; and a full glossary of yoga terms. 162 Pages”
Hatha Yoga: The Essential Dynamics: This book covers the practical core of Hatha Yoga. The eight programs guide you from beginning through advanced Yoga. The illustrations show you at a glance the dynamics of the Yoga postures. Ideally, one would use this book along with one of the Iyengar books listed above, or as a refresher course for one who already practices yoga.
The full ‘sales pitch’…
- This manual is for anyone practicing or teaching Hatha Yoga, from beginning to advanced.
- This manual consolidates the principles of Yoga to help the student focus on the basic training required to realize his or her highest potential.
- This manual gives detailed techniques to apply while in the Yoga postures. As many other books show only the techniques for moving into or out of the posture, this manual makes a perfect supplement to them.
- This manual contains the information I learned at B.K.S. Iyengar’s Yoga Institute in India, and more. It will help you practice much more effectively with or without a teacher.
- This manual contains eight graduated programs of 138 postures which take you from beginning to advanced Yoga.
- If you are studying under a teacher, the illustrations show the main points taught which you can latter refer to during your home practice.
- Conscientious application of the vital and often forgotten techniques displayed in the illustration allow you to achieve maximum results from your time and effort.
- The illustrations could be copied and arranged on a ring binder in the sequence of your particular home routine. This allows you to quickly glance at each posture before doing it to remind yourself of what you are aiming for.